Font Size

- Aa +

Tue 1 Mar 2016 04:01 PM

Font Size

- Aa +

Up to six bidders vie for PetroRabigh construction contract

Industry sources say foreign firms in frame to build new units at Saudi petrochemical and refining complex

Up to six bidders vie for PetroRabigh construction contract
(Photo for illustrative purposes only)

Saudi Arabia's PetroRabigh has received bids from up to six foreign engineering companies for the construction of new units at its petrochemical and refining complex in Rabigh, industry sources said.

PetroRabigh, a joint venture between Saudi Aramco and Japan's Sumitomo Chemical, announced plans for the new units in October last year.

It said tenders would involve building a polyether polyols plant with annual capacity of 220,000 tonnes, a 17,000 barrel per day naphtha-treating unit to produce clean fuel and a sulphur recovery unit (SRU) with capacity of 106,000 tonnes a year.

Maire Tecnimont was among the bidders, one source said, but a second source said that the Italian company had ultimately decided against bidding.

Work on the Rabigh expansion is due to begin in the second half of this year, PetroRabigh said in October.

PetroRabigh didn't respond to phone calls and an email requesting comment. Bids for the work were due to be submitted by February 24.

For all the latest construction news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.