US judge refuses bail to Saudi in 'hit man' case

Saudi national Ziyad Abid is accused of hiring hit man to kill a bar owner
US judge refuses bail to Saudi in 'hit man' case
(Photo for illustrative purposes only)
By Courtney Trenwith
Wed 03 Jul 2013 12:24 PM

A US judge is refusing to grant bail to a Saudi national accused of paying a hit man to kill a 27-year-old despite the Saudi government posting a $2m bond.

Ziyad Abid is accused of hiring Reginald Singletary to kill bar owner Blaine Whitworth in September, 2012.

Singletary told police he committed the murder because Abid paid him, according to American media reports on the court case.

The Saudi government reportedly paid Abid’s $2m bond last month. However, he was again refused bail on Tuesday.

Judge Michael Wagner said he was concerned that if released, Abid would be deported by immigration authorities for overstaying his student visa.

Abid’s defence attorney, Pat Peters, said the decision was unusual.

“Everybody involved with the case has never seen this happen before,” he was quoted as saying in Fox4 News.

Abid’s lawyers accused Judge Wagner of being racist and called for him to be removed from the case, arguing the decision to keep Abid locked up was unconstitutional.

For all the latest business news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.