Taqa says work starts on Ghana power project

  • Share via facebook
  • Tweet this
  • Bookmark and Share
Taqa CEO, Carl Sheldon.

Taqa CEO, Carl Sheldon.

Abu Dhabi National Energy Company, also known as Taqa, has announced that work has started to expand its power plant project in Ghana.

Once completed, Takoradi 2, in which Taqa has a 90 percent stake, will account for about 15 percent of Ghana's generation capacity, providing power to more than a million people, the company said in a statement.

The expansion, being carried out by Mitsui & Co (Japan) and KEPCO E&C (Korea), is scheduled for commissioning in the fourth quarter of 2014.

Carl Sheldon, CEO at Taqa, said: "The Takoradi 2 power plant expansion project builds on Taqa's position as a trusted operator of strategic energy infrastructure in Ghana.

"We are helping Ghana to meet its growing energy needs while increasing the efficiency of the electricity generation system."

The expansion project supports the Ghanaian Government's efforts to develop the country's electricity sector and promote the use of indigenous natural gas supplies.

The expansion will increase the plant's output from 220 megawatt (MW) by 50 percent without requiring extra fuel or producing additional emissions.

In 2011, Taqa and the Volta River Authority (VRA) upgraded the plant from burning imported oil to primarily burn natural gas.

Taqa acquired a 90 percent share in the Takoradi 2 plant in 2007. The VRA, the main generator of electricity in Ghana, holds the remaining 10 percent while Taqa is operator of the facility.

Taqa obtained Ghanaian government approvals last year and completed the project financing arrangements in January.

Takoradi 2 is Taqa's second expansion project in Africa following the $1.6bn expansion of the company's Jorf Lasfar power plant in Morocco.

John Dramani Mahama, the President of Ghana, said at a ground-breaking ceremony: "The Takoradi 2 expansion project reflects our energy for growth programme aimed at increasing investments in the energy sector to build capacity for the future."

Khalid Al-Ghaith, Assistant Foreign Minister for Economic Affairs for the UAE, added: "We are encouraging investments in Africa and will continue to back our sovereign companies such as Taqa. We look forward to strengthen the relationship between Ghana and UAE and look forward to seeing more official visits and further agreements."


Market Performance

Abu Dhabi National Energy Company
-0.01 -0.79 (%)
Join the Discussion

Disclaimer:The view expressed here by our readers are not necessarily shared by Arabian Business, its employees, sponsors or its advertisers.

Please post responsibly. Commenter Rules

  • No comments yet, be the first!

Enter the words above: Enter the numbers you hear:

All comments are subject to approval before appearing

Further reading

Features & Analysis
Back in business

Back in business

Iran’s tankers are back on the oceans as sanctions on the Islamic...

A new future for Saudi Arabia?

A new future for Saudi Arabia?

The vast Wadd Al Shimal phosphate mine in the north of Saudi...

Will shale shake the Middle East?

Will shale shake the Middle East?

The debate over shale’s impact on the GCC continues. Will this...

Most Discussed
  • 54
    Three UAE women attacked with hammer at London hotel

    I really feel that Arabian Business.Com should now close this comments page. This should be all about sympathy for the families not what it is/has turned... more

    Wednesday, 16 April 2014 1:06 PM - Adrienne
  • 51
    Why Dubai isn't a plastic city

    What is definitely not a plastic city. The Arabs have a culture dating back to several centuries. 50 years back Dubai was just a fishing village. Today... more

    Tuesday, 8 April 2014 3:49 PM - P. MADHUSUDAN
  • 48
    DMCC boss Ahmed Bin Sulayem entertains Robert Mugabe in Dubai

    @fga ''However today, simply because he decided to dispossess a few white farmers of their land and redistribute to the poorer indigenous blacks'' more

    Sunday, 13 April 2014 3:02 PM - Matt Williams