Senior Expo official says more than 180 countries will participate in the mega event
Construction work on Expo 2020 Dubai pavilions by participating countries is expected to start in April, according to a senior official.
Najeeb Al Ali, executive director of the Expo 2020 Dubai Office, also said a total of more than 180 countries will participate in the mega event which is set to attract 25 million visitors, with 150,000 daily.
In a statement to state news agency WAM, he added that work also continues on the Expo site’s infrastructure and its centrepiece, Al Wasl Square.
Last month, the foundations of the futuristic falcon-inspired UAE pavilion were laid. The pavilion is being built by Arabtec Construction. Once completed, the pavilion will span an area of over 15,000 square metres, with four-floors including a 1,717 square metre top floor dedicated for hospitality and a 588-square-metre mezzanine floor to house support units.
The Expo site will be transformed into a sustainable project and business-friendly environment at the end of the Expo, and 80 percent of the Expo’s internal infrastructure, built on a area of 4.39 sq km, will continue to be used.
The site will include a free zone, commercial centres and a residential complex, Al Ali said.
With regards to the remaining 20 percent, Al Ali said agreements were signed with participating countries that detail the dismantling of their pavilions at the end of the Expo, to be returned to their countries.
He added that Expo 2020 Dubai aims to support national energy consumption plans, to ensure that 50 percent of the country’s total energy consumption is made up of renewable energy.
Expo 2020 Dubai will run for six months from October 20, 2020 to April 10, 2021 and is anticipated to receive 25 million visits, with 70 percent due to come from outside the UAE, the largest proportion in the history of World Expos.