We noticed you're blocking ads.

Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker.

Questions about why you are seeing this? Contact us

Font Size

- Aa +

Wed 7 Sep 2016 09:01 AM

Font Size

- Aa +

FIFA's ethics committee opens proceedings against Qatari official

FIFA investigator recommended Mohannadi be banned from the game for at least 2 1/2 years over allegations of non-cooperation with an inquiry

FIFA's ethics committee opens proceedings against Qatari official
Saoud Al-Mohannadi (Photo: staticflickr)

Global football governing body FIFA said on Tuesday its ethics watchdog had opened proceedings against high-ranking Qatari football official Saoud Al-Mohannadi.

"The adjudicatory chamber of the independent Ethics Committee, under its chairman Hans-Joachim Eckert, has opened formal adjudicatory proceedings against the Vice-President of the Qatar Football Association (QFA) and former General Secretary of the QFA, Saoud Al-Mohannadi, based on the final report submitted by the investigatory chamber," Zurich-based FIFA said in a statement.

In August, a FIFA investigator recommended Mohannadi be banned from the game for at least 2 1/2 years over allegations of non-cooperation with an inquiry.

The recommendation did not give details on the inquiry. The FIFA watchdog only said the inquiry was not linked to the awarding of the 2022 FIFA World Cup to Qatar - one of the cases at the centre of wider investigations and allegations that have rocked the football organisation since last year.

Digital magazine: Read the latest edition of Arabian Business online

For all the latest sports news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.