Dubai’s population has crossed the 3.1 million mark after rising by 232,400 by the end of the third quarter of 2018, according to new figures from the Dubai Statistics Centre (DSC).
Dubai’s population of 3,136,400 represents a growth of 7.7 percent from Q3 2017, according to the DSC.
“The rise in population reflects Dubai’s growth as a dynamic economic and tourism hub,” said Arif Al Mehairi, DSC executive director. “The population of non-resident workers and temporary residents in Dubai is currently 1,155,000 while the total active daytime population of the emirate is 4,291,400.”
Al Mehairi added that as much as 37 percent of Dubai’s active daytime population comes from outside the emirate.
According to the DSC statistics, the net increase in the number of temporary residents in Dubai in Q3 2018 was 6.6 percent compared to the same time period in 2017. The increase in the total resident population was 1.1 percent, while the total active population in Q3 rose 7.7 percent from the same time period in 2017.
The figures also indicate that males account for 2,195,480 of Dubai’s total population, while females account for 940,920 – a ratio of 233 males to every 100 females.
The majority of Dubai’s population – 66.45 percent – is between the ages of 20 and 44. Of this, 17.97 percent are between 30 and 34, compared to 16.63 percent that are between 25 and 29.
Another 13.38 percent are between 35 and 39.
The DSC noted that in 1881, Dubai’s population was estimated at 12,000, meaning that it has grown 261 times in 137 years.For all the latest business news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.
Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.