Qatar said to be in talks to raise Fairmont Raffles stake

Gulf state reportedly looking to acquire more of hotel from US-based Colony Capital

(Photo for illustrative purposes only)

(Photo for illustrative purposes only)

Qatar is in negotiations to increase its stake in privately held Fairmont Raffles Hotels International, it has been reported.

Qatar’s real estate investment arm Qatari Diar, alongside Cayman-registered fund Voyager Partners in 2010 bought 40 percent of the luxury hotelier in agreements worth $847m.

London’s Financial Times said that the oil and gas-rich Gulf state was now in talks to acquire US-based Colony Capital’s shareholding, which was around 22 percent following the 2010 deal.

“I don’t think it’s any secret that we’ll be increasing that stake,” Christopher Knable, chief operating officer of Katara Hospitality, the hotels division of Qatar’s sovereign wealth fund, told the newspaper. Knable did not specify whether it would be Katara that would be purchasing the stake, or another state-linked entity.

A person familiar with the matter told the Financial Times that Qatar’s total stake in the hotelier now stood at around 45 percent, with the remaining 55 percent shared equally between Colony and Kingdom Holding, the Saudi Arabian investment firm led by Prince Alwaleed bin Talal.

Any new transaction could see Qatar buy Colony’s current stake of more than 20 percent, with Kingdom Holding keeping its own shareholding in Fairmont.

Colony and Qatar have been done business in the past, with the investment firm’s founder Tom Barrack in 2011 selling French football club Paris St Germain to investors in the Gulf state. Last year, Colony also sold Sardinia-based luxury resorts firm Smeralda Holding to Qatar for approximately $1bn.

Related:
Join the Discussion

Disclaimer:The view expressed here by our readers are not necessarily shared by Arabian Business, its employees, sponsors or its advertisers.

NOTE: Comments posted on arabianbusiness.com may be printed in the magazine Arabian Business

Please post responsibly. Commenter Rules

  • No comments yet, be the first!

All comments are subject to approval before appearing

Further reading

Features & Analysis
Taking cover: Inside the GCC home insurance market

Taking cover: Inside the GCC home insurance market

Home insurance in the GCC remains remarkably low, despite arresting...

Is Africa's investment dream still on track?

Is Africa's investment dream still on track?

It was the new bright spot for global investors, but widespread...

Deal-making to drive 2017 Middle Eastern banking fee bonanza

Deal-making to drive 2017 Middle Eastern banking fee bonanza

Fees from the Middle East reached $581m during the first nine...

Most Discussed
  • 3
    UAE landlords set to get tougher on rental cheques

    Erm, what real estate recovery are they talking about? Expected by who exactly? One minute rents are dropping now they're rising? I don't think it's a... more

    Tuesday, 28 February 2017 1:23 PM - Mr. Abc
  • 2
    Dubai residents appeal to fix 'roundabout of doom'

    These 2 roundabouts (Arabian Ranches/Motor City & Studio City) are mostly choked and always dangerous, because of Schools, Offices and fast growing Residential... more

    Tuesday, 28 February 2017 1:22 PM - Anon
  • 2
    UAE salaries expected to rise, report says

    Nowadays people are struggling to secure a job in market and they are accepting offer which is less from their current package there is no chance of salary... more

    Tuesday, 28 February 2017 1:21 PM - Daljit Singh
sponsoredTracking