1 of 6
Sheikh Mohammed has launched an ambitious outline to improve the lives of residents in 2019.
2 of 6
1. New Silk Road: The document calls for Dubai to establish its own ‘Silk Road’ with the cooperation of friendly neighbours and international partners. This goal builds upon the region’s historic role as a hub between East and West, and will take advantage of Dubai’s busy airport.
3 of 6
2. Geo-economic zones: The plan outlined by Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid will include a “geo-economic map” for Dubai, and the establishment of integrated economic zones throughout the entire city. Each of these zones will have their own council to manage and market them.
4 of 6
3. Virtual city: Dubai will add yet another item to its list of ‘firsts’ by establishing the region’s first virtual commercial city. According to the document, the city will grant commercial licenses to people and businesses not currently residing in Dubai.
5 of 6
4. University economic zones: In public and private universities, “free zones” will be created to allow students to carry out business and creative activities and make those activities part of the education system, as well as form the nucleus of integrated economic zones in these institutions.
6 of 6
5. Self-sufficiency: The emirate will establish a programme designed to build a system that allows for at least 10 percent of citizens’ homes to be self-sufficient in terms of water, food and energy. This will help change lifestyles and contribute to the preservation of