Dubai says all charges in YouTube beating case dropped

Attorney General says cases against gov't official, man who videoed attack have been dropped
A still from the video which went viral after being posted on YouTube.
By Andy Sambidge
Sun 28 Jul 2013 04:45 PM

Dubai's Attorney General said on Sunday that the cases against a government official accused of assaulting a van driver and the man who videoed the incident have been dropped.

Essam Al Humaidan, head of Dubai Public Prosecution, said in comments published by news agency WAM that the Indian expat and Emirati will be released after the complaints against them were withdrawn.

Al Humaidan said the van driver had waived his rights, as had the family of the Emirati suspect, and both cases had been closed.

Prosecutors had originally accused the first defendant of "physical assault" and the second defendant of "posting a video online with intent to cause damage".

The Emirati suspect, who works as a manager at a government department, was arrested after footage of a road rage incident was posted on YouTube.

The video of the attack – seen by thousands of people globally – was uploaded on Youtube.

It showed a senior Emirati government official brutally attacking an Indian driver after an apparent accident in Dubai.

The Indian was later arrested after the Emirati's family complained that the expat had acted illegally by filming people in a public place without their permission.

Al Humaidan also urged people to hand over video evidence of suspected crimes to the police and not publish it on the web.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.