Kuwaiti-owned London theme park signs new deal with Hollywood studio

Paramount Pictures is the producer behind The Godfather and Mission: Impossible franchises
Kuwaiti-owned London theme park signs new deal with Hollywood studio
By Shane McGinley
Sun 30 Jun 2019 10:24 AM

The developer behind plans for a $3.6 billion Kuwaiti-owned theme park due to open near London in 2024 has renewed its partnerships with Hollywood film studio Paramount Pictures.

The London Resort, which was launched in October 2012 by the London Resort Company Holdings (LRCH) and is being backed by the Kuwaiti European Holding (KEH) Group, is located on a 535-acre site on Kent’s Swanscombe peninsula, just 17 minutes on the train from Central London.

PY Gerbeau, the newly appointed chief executive of LRCH said in a statement: “The new partnership with Paramount is fantastic news for everyone. Now the best of Hollywood will be joining the best of British from BBC Studios and ITV Studios, to create amazing and unique experiences for the whole family.”

Kevin Suh, President of Themed Entertainment and Consumer Products for Paramount Pictures added: “The London Resort represents a truly global resort opportunity and we’re delighted to be playing our part in bringing iconic movies to life in truly immersive experiences and rides. We’re also delighted, as the most iconic studio in Hollywood, to be sharing our unparalleled catalogue of instantly recognisable films and characters.”

Paramount Pictures is the studio behind well-known movies such as The Godfather, The Italian Job, the Mission: Impossible franchise and musicals Grease and Saturday Night Fever.

The theme park was previously named the London Paramount Entertainment Resort when it was launched in 2012, but the partnership with the Hollywood studio ended in June 2017, before being renewed in recent days.

In May, LRCH announced it had signed a partnership deal with ITV Studios, the British broadcaster behind popular programmes such as Coronation Street, I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! and This Morning.

The park also has an existing agreement with the BBC. It was originally set to start construction in 2016 but this has been delayed due to the changes in recent years.

“There will be a further round of consultation on the project later this year. Subject to planning approval, construction will begin in 2021 and the first phase of the London Resort will open to the public in 2024,” a park spokesperson said in May.

LRCH estimates the park will create around 3,500 hotel rooms and over 30,000 jobs for the local community.

For all the latest travel news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.